Wednesday, September 23, 2009

ABC Wednesday - J is for Journal



J is for Journal............



an expense journal with a pen



We have been self-employed for over twenty years now, and I find the record keeping to be the most monotonous part of the whole business.

The computer has made life so much easier as far as recording everything, but all the paperwork still has to be organized, checked off, and accounted for before it gets input into the computer.

The general ledger and journal are much easier to deal with - I remember many sheets of columned paper that were all written and manually added.

I worked in a bank long before I became self employed, and my expense journals are nothing compared to theirs'.

But by the time I left, computers were beginning to make it easier there too.

Don't know where we would be without them, but it is good to know that if things ever went back to not having them, I could still work with those dreaded journals and ledgers.





This is the fifth round of ABC Wednesday. If you would like to join in please visit this site for the details.










8 comments:

  1. Great shot! Perfect for the "J" day!

    Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great item for the letter J and it's a great photo too. I remember having to use journals when I worked for my mom and dad in the early 1980's. Thank goodness for computers, but then again, sometimes computers can dumb us down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the worst aspect of any business, bookkeeping. Whether online or otherwise, and I've done both, I'd rather pay someone else to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. there seems to be no way around this accounting. I am in the same boat as I am self employed too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true. But it's hard to retain old skills, at least for me. Maybe it's my age...

    I remember when advertising layouts and such were all done manually, as well. The world has changed, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy you are really good with stock photography. I do to have to do all the book keeping, kind of hard to get to.

    BTW yeah I had the same question about Bob too, didn't know who to ask. May be I drop him email.

    Thanks Kathy,

    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother trained in a job which required ledger-keeping. She hated it so much! But she can still do it, though she's nearly 90 years old now.

    I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm surprised you don't do that electronically. when I was a manager of a store in the 1980s, I knew a LOT about different ledgers...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07