Friday, October 30, 2009

Photo Tip Friday - EXIF Info



Photo Tip Friday - EXIF Info





trees and mountains in the autumn


In the days before digital cameras, the best a photographer could do to remember all the camera settings for an image was to write them down for each shot.

Very time consuming and confusing and not always practical to do.

Digital photography allows the photographer to have all the camera settings, date, time, and even the lens focal length at their fingertips with a click of the mouse - for every photo they take with their camera.

This is known as the EXIF info or metadata for the image.

It records the shutterspeed, f-stop number, ISO, size, and many other settings including the flash settings too.

I tried to show the EXIF screen for the above image, but I could not get it to come through on this post.

When viewing your images on your computer, right click on the photo, and click "properties" on the drop down box.

From there, click on the "image" tab and scroll down a bit. The header reads: EXIF.

All of the camera settings are listed under that header.

It is a great learning tool for a beginner, and it makes life a lot easier for the more experienced!













6 comments:

  1. It is nice to have all that information avaiable, I just wish I understood it all. One of these days I'm going to figure it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a handy tip. Who knew?

    Thanks much and keep up the nice work here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am learning much with your valuable info here. Keep on posting. Hope you had a wonderful time with your Halloween Party. Our "party" here was spent receiving late voter registrants who wanted to beat the deadline at midnite of October 31, 2009 so they can vote come May 10, 2010 for the National and Local Elections here in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I know that my digital camera is nothing on any you have but that is great information to know and thanks so much for posting it. I started writing the info down as I was always forgetting it but at least now I know if I have a good shot what the settings are. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm lucky if I can find the right button to turn the flash off and on - if I can't find my reading glasses, I'm out of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it true that when your DSLR reaches the maximum number of the shutter counts, the DSLR may crash or become defective?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07