Sunday, November 2, 2008

Giant Bee Hive for Green Thumb Sunday


Giant Bee Hive for Green Thumb Sunday


a giant bee hive in a bush




Green Thumb Sunday Blogroll

How to join Green Thumb Sunday


In last week's Green Thumb Sunday post I mentioned that my boys had made a discovery while I was photographing some berries.

As they joined me, they were all shook up and my husband tells me - you almost lost us both in one pop.

Seeing their reaction had me fearing something big - but I was not prepared for what they had almost walked right into.

If you look closely at this rhododendron bush, you will see a huge bee hive built within its branches.

The bush was bigger than me if this gives you any indication of the size of this thing - and with all the long grass around, it was very easy to not see it as they were walking along.

Check out the size of the entrance hole - many bees were coming and going at the same time with plenty of clearance.

I was really bummed that I only had my 35-85mm lens with me. I didn't dare to get any closer than what I did. This hive was an absolute beauty - all the work those bees did - I really wanted to get closer to get all the details.

It was my intention to get back to where it was during the summer with my larger lens, but we never had that opportunity.

It was in a run-down and abandoned mini golf course which was dismantled shortly after, and I assume the nest was gone too.

I hope the ones that handled its removal were all safe.











12 comments:

  1. Tho it is amazing what bees can do, it is scary to stumble across one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is amazing. I wonder how many bees lived there. Thankfully your boys didn't wander into it. There must have been a lot of sound coming from it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hive is something quite interesting to view. Great capture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment. I love looking at your photos every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an amazing and scary find. I'm glad none of you were stung. When we went up to Tonto National Monument last week, there were huge yellow wasps everywhere, very active in the hot weather, that seemed to be two inches long. And I had heard that killer bees nest in the caves on the cliffs. Needless to say, I didn't go in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rosemary - It really was quite something. I wouldn't want to get that group riled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rose - It was humming, but not loud enough to warn you before you got too close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the verge - thanks for your kind words and for your visits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynda - wise decision! I have heard that those killer bees have been moving further north - they mate with the honey bees which is making them quite aggressive too. Not a good thing for the beekeepers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol, wow great shot, looks like a scary face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy I ran into one of those once too, and I have photos on my blog too. The most interesting architecture I ever seen, and its very light....Anna :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07