Wednesday, February 23, 2011

ABC Wednesday - F is for Fort



 
F is for Fort............



the ruins of the old fort


Last week I posted about an entrance to an old fort along the seacoast.
 
This week's photo is of a piece of the remaining fort.
 
This is the wall that faces the sea - solid an thick to protect what is behind it.
 
The stones are all stained with rust from years of being exposed to the elements.
 
What intrigued me most with this shot was the way the top of the lighthouse was just visible from where I was standing.
 
The fort is called Fort Constitution, which is located in Newcastle, NH, and it was first erected in the mid 1600's.
 
The lighthouse was built in the late 1800's.
 
Even though the lighthouse itself is old, it appears more modern when compared to the old fort wall.
 
I think it is an interesting contrast.








This is the eighth round of ABC Wednesday. If you would like to join in please visit this site for the details.










7 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful photo. I just love ruins and this one is lovely.

    Kisses from Nydia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat photo. I love how you can also see the lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. It is a scene that contains both the present and the past. Nicely captured!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The old forts along the Eastern coast are such rich history lessons. I've seen a few down along the Florida coast and Puerto Rico. They are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shot! 'Fort' is perfect for F-week! I like the different 'layers' of history that you have captured in this photograph.
    Best wishes,
    Anna
    Anna's ABC-F and AT-T: Tooth-Faerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the Lighthouse is peeking out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07