Wednesday, December 29, 2010

ABC Wednesday - X is for Xanthophyll



X is for Xanthophyll............



a white mushroom in the dirt



Looking at this photo - I bet you think I got my weeks mixed up - this is Y for yellow, not X.

But that is precisely what this post is all about.

The substance that makes that gorgeous yellow color in the autumn leaves is called xanthophyll.

And there is plenty of it in this autumn leaf.

No trickery this week, my friends, but I must say, finding these words for these letters is getting tricky!





This is the seventh round of ABC Wednesday. If you would like to join in please visit this site for the details.










5 comments:

  1. I remember teaching my grade 4s about this when we studied the seasons in the temperate deciduous forests. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leaves are soo beautiful and its color is pretty.I like this color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So will we see the same pic NEXT week?! ;-)
    seriously, good choice and explanation.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific shot for the X Day! It does get hard at this end of the alphabet to find words, but you've done a great job and the color is gorgeous! Wishing you a very Happy New Year! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it's perfect for ABC Wednesday! Nice photo, too!

    Jay - ABC team

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07