Wednesday, December 30, 2009

ABC Wednesday - X is for Xylology



X is for Xylology............



a face formed in an old tree stump



This is my 5th time of trying to come up with an idea for the letter X.

It was not an easy task - I had to take to the internet as my dictionary isn't as advanced in X words as it should be.

So I stumbled across the word, xylology, which means the study of the structure of wood.

And I thought, if I really stretch it, I have a photo for that!

I found this old tree stump in a field on an outing last spring, and I couldn't resist snapping a photo - it looked just like a face.

A gnarled face with a very lopsided grin, but it had all the characteristics in the right places for a face.

So I figure that studying the structure of this face in the wood must constitute as xylology.

Do you think we can stretch it that far?






This is the fifth round of ABC Wednesday. If you would like to join in please visit this site for the details.










10 comments:

  1. Well, we both went to the dictionary and came up with images. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is absolutely perfect. If I had seen that tree I would have taken a picture too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, indeed. It's no stretch at all! Interesting narrative and the photo is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see why not! It's wood, and you're studying the structure! LOL!

    It's a great face, too, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just an incredible photograph!! And no, I didn't know that word, but now that you've explained it to me, and what that amazing image is, I say you nailed "X" wonderfully!! I can't get over the face in the wood....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely! I think it's a perfect fit. And I love that "face."

    Don't you just love dictionary[dot]com? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think its the perfect stretch!

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. New Year is the time to bid farewell to the old year and welcome the coming year. It is the time to forget and get past memories that are no longer useful or worth pondering upon. It is the time for new beginnings and new starts in life. New Year has a message for each one of us. One should let go of the past that has bad memories and accept what has happened, has happened for some reason. Instead of clinging onto your past and things that have gone, it is better to let go.

    There is an old saying that goes, "Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened". This essentially means that there is no use crying over spilt milk. You cannot turn back time and do things that would benefit you. Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue. New year is the time of new beginnings. It is time to start afresh and do things that would make someone else smile. Make a pledge to make at least one person happy. You will see the difference it can make in both your lives. The essential message of New Year is let go off the past and embrace life as it comes to you. You will be happier and merrier that way.

    May the coming year 2010 bring you happiness, success, wealth and good health!.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've put your link on my blog, hope you put my link too.. thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07