Wednesday, July 22, 2009

ABC Wednesday - A is for Archway



A is for Archway............



a white archway against a blue sky



And so begins another round for our ABC Wednesday theme. We are now on round 5, and it has taken us two years to complete the previous 4 rounds. Please see the link at the bottom of the post if you are interested in joining us each Wednesday.

This week's A is an archway over a walkway that is part of the historical Strawbery Banke settlement in Porstmouth, NH.

I remember when I was back in my photography class over 28 years ago - one of the images in my portfolio was a black and white print I had made of this same structure.

I like the color in this one, but there was something about the black and white that fit so perfectly with this vintage scene, as this house dates back to the 1800's.

I didn't notice it at this time I took the photo - but if you look closely, you will see Christmas tree lights strung around the whole thing.

I tell you, I was not impressed at all when I noticed that in the post processing.

This whole Strawbery Banke museum area has been kept as original as possible, and those tacky lights just blow me away.

This photo was taken in early October - so there is no way that they could be Christmas decorations.

I am so glad I have the old photo of it. When I find the negative, I will scan it and post it so you can see it in it's true beauty, not this disappointing version.




This is the fifth round of ABC Wednesday. If you would like to join in please visit this site for the details.










16 comments:

  1. Wow... what an amazing archway! I don't think I have ever seen one that big before!!
    Beautiful.
    It is sad about the Christmas lights, I suppose they use them for special occasions or such.

    It would be interesting to see that one from days past that you had taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you concerning the Christmas-lights, but otherwise it was a fine piece of architecture. Monochrome should be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one beautiful pic.
    I can imagine it in b&w. For sure lovely!
    And an interesting idea with the ABC :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see what you mean about those lights hanging off the structure. I'd love to see your b&w image of it. Otherwise, it's a perfect choice for our first of the fifth. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, the lights wound around it are pretty tacky. Looking forward to seeing the original shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah ha...I did not see the lights @ first glance...they blend in w/ the delicate foliage growing organically around the archway...looking forward to see the original pic...lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The place look so pretty..
    Glad to be back here.. I lost your link for awhile there.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work there. The lights are strung in October and do double duty for our Halloween event and our Christmas event. By stringing them early, we are able to steward our donations more wisely - string lights once for two events, and avoid any complications from the snow and ice that arrive in November and might slow us down. It has been a wise move for us to do this and is one of many ways we seek to make our small budget stretch further without sacrificing the special atmosphere of our holiday events.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look forward to the B&W as it's a lovely structure. About the lights...they are yukky in the light of day...but I'd love to see it lit up in the dark of night! This alphabet challenge is sort of interesting.....hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your arch! Thanks for stopping in!! You always leave me inspired!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks every one for stopping in. I will hunt for that black and white one and scan it in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon - thanks for stopping by to let us know what is happening with the lights. I wonder - there are white wired ones as well as the green ones. Perhaps that is a better option? I am sure they look beautiful at night either way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoy visiting your blog on my dropping rounds each day. Glad you had to time to drop on mine.
    Take care and keep snapping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent photo Kathy, and thanks for the heads up on the ABC Wednesday. I just wouldn't have time right now to commit. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The shape of this archway reminds me of my trip to climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge in Australia. Of course that is a blown-up version of this archway.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07