Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Bit of Last Autumn for Green Thumb Sunday



A Bit of Last Autumn for Green Thumb Sunday





red round spiky flowers in the autumn


I am not sure what kind of flower they are, but I found them quite interesting when I visited a local garden last autumn.

They look sharp and spiky, but they really are not.

Even their solid, round shape is odd for a flower.

I don't know if they open up, or if this is the mature plant.

The color was quite striking - even their stems are red.

If any of my readers know what they are, please don't hesitate to leave a comment.

I thank you in advance!











3 comments:

  1. These are castor beans with the bright pods holding two big seeds.Great plant and great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosemary - Thanks for the name of them! I thought they were quite unique, and as with the last plant I decided to investigate (Jimsen Weed), I found this one to be toxic also - but only if the beans are eaten raw.

    The poison ones are certainly alluring!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy beautiful contrast. Excellent.
    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07