Wednesday, April 8, 2009

ABC Wednesday - L is for Linen



L is for Linen............



an embroidered linen handkerchief atop an old small chest



Hand embroidered, this beautiful linen handkerchief sits atop a small antique jewelry chest.

A dainty reminder of my grandmother and days gone by when a lady carried a handkerchief at all times.

After all, tissues hadn't been invented yet, and even when they were, they were too expensive to spend money on.

These lines were common and a necessity, and who knows, maybe someday they will be again.

It would certainly save trees, reduce waste, and lessen our carbon footprint upon this beautiful planet.




This is the fourth round of ABC Wednesday. If you would like to join in please visit this site for the details.










8 comments:

  1. Kathy, I remember well a great aunt of mine who stressed the importance of being "a lady." I think if she were to come back now, she would faint at the changes in women's dress and demeanor, since her day!

    I like your photo. You're lucky to have such a beautiful memento of your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy beautiful linen and beautiful picture.

    You asked about my baking. Well I have this book 1000 chocolate recipes, making chocolate chip cookies and loafs, and any other cookies but I keep adding chocolate chips to everything. Couple of nights I was experimenting with dipping chocolate, I made too soft so right now we have many oatmeal cookies coated with chocolate in the fridge - I think I have to stop, lol....but until I get my perfect hard chocolate coating one day, lol...Kathy you know baking is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Beautiful "L" post! I love Hankies, they seem to be much more personal than a Kleenex! Have a great day!!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely - I have a couple of these heirlooms, as well. And was just thinking about them the other day and wondering why we gave up using them -

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great picture of a beautiful heirloom. Nice choice for the letter L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shot Kathy, my wife has inherited a lot of linens and does a lot of embroidery as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember having hankies as a child, and then when tissues came along, being told that they made life 'more hygienic'. But they haven't done anything to stop the spread of germs, have they? So we might as well go back to the old days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photo. It reminded me that I still have some of my grandmother's hankies (with tatting around the edges) packed away. And I remember her IRONING my grandfather's handkerchiefs when I was a little girl. Those were the days...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07