Wednesday, November 26, 2008

ABC Wednesday - S is for Swamp



S is for Swamp.............


a new england green swamp in the spring




All of the spring rains made a very lush and green swamp in early summer.

The wildlife abounds here - many birds chattering, deer tracks in the soft ground, and gnawed down trees that only a beaver can create.

The tree on the right side of the photo has a bird house on it - put there by the people who maintain the trail.

The Audubon Society in our area keeps this trail and several others around the state in great condition.

We have hiked a couple of their trails, and they are usually centered around a swamp, or sometimes a large pond.

If you get a chance - check out the Audubon trails in your area - they are usually free to hike, and they usually have a simple map so you don't get lost.

It's a great way to spend an afternoon - just don't forget a bottle of water, and the BUG SPRAY!






This is the third round of ABC Wednesday. If you would like to join in please visit this site for the details.










10 comments:

  1. It was nice to see some green again - keep it so for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shot looks so nice to me because I woke up this morning to a grey and gloomy day.

    Bear((( )))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to these kind of areas maintained for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I would definitely say S is for swamp. and you captured it just perfectly. Whewwwww...I just got back online. I wanted to pop in and thank you for your continued support while I was down.

    Now I just have a week of catching up to do. I hope you have a fabulous Thanksgiving Kathy!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. M first thought was the bugs! No, actually it was the crocodiles that I associate with swamps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the green Kathy,lol not much of it around here now, actually we do have a lot of swamp land around here, The mall I work at was built on one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rune - I wish we could keep it too - all brown and waiting for snow now.

    @Bear - Thanks!

    @Babooska - I am glad they do, too!

    @Jackie - thanks - I'm glad to see you back - you'll catch up in no time!

    @Liz- I am glad we don't have crocs up here to worry about!

    @Stefanie -thanks!

    @Bob - We have quite a few around here - not too green right now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, it's so cold here now, that emerald-green swamp looks warm and inviting!

    I don't know of any Audubon trails here on Long Island, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. In Maine and NH we have hiked a bit on stretches of the Appalachian trail. In the winter, I miss hiking so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you, Lynda - all cold and brown here too - soon to be all white.

    Someday I am going to check out a portion of that Appalachian Trail. I have always wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice lighting in this image. Lush green

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - it is appreciated! I will do my best to return it with a visit to your blog. Take care, and enjoy!

Google
 

Visitors Since 09/05/07